Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The 500 Word Challenge

"Christian, why are you doing this?"

A friend texted me this question a few months back. He read my blog and he was flabbergasted with some of the things I write here. Being in the seminary for four grueling years really changed my perspective about life but it did not exempt me from questioning what life is all about, why we experience sickness and death and most especially, why does our "good" God allow terrible things to happen.

My friend was shocked especially with the last thing I mentioned. He thought I became an atheist. I simply told him that questioning what you believe in doesn't mean you're turning away from it. You simply want to assure yourself that everything will be all right. But then it dawned on me that asking questions won't guarantee you anything. How you put your faith in what you believe will save you from all sorts of trouble down the road. Not answers, but faith.

Being back to the outside world after spending four years inside the seminary opened my eyes to many possibilities. It's possible to bring God to people even if I'm not a priest or a brother. It's possible to be a 'witness' simply by doing what you're supposed to do. 

And the biggest realization of all: there is no 'better' or 'perfect' vocation but only a 'perfect intention'.

OK, so back to my friend's question: "Christian, why are you doing this?" Why do I keep on writing? And why am I sharing this to the world?

The answer is simple. I need to 'bleed'.

Yes, to bleed. 

My financial advisor is a health buff. Everyday he wakes up at four in the morning to jog. Every other day he goes to the gym. And for him, fast food and other junkies are a big no-no.

My high school friend is a musician. Everyday he spends at least three hours playing his guitar.

My religious friend is a blogger. Blogging is one way for him to spread the Good News.

They all have their passions. And all of them have an outlet in order for their passion to materialize. My financial advisor has his exercise routine, my high school friend has his guitar and my religious friend has his blog.

What is my passion, you may ask? Simple: how to live an awesome life.

Other people also want to live an awesome life, and I think all of us should. Others travel, others eat. For me, it's writing. I need to write in order for me to 'bleed' out how I feel about life. It's my way of silencing down and organizing my thoughts since I'm immersed in a fast paced lifestyle. What is effective today may not be anymore effective a few hours. Life is a link of transitions. I need to be quiet, sit down, write and reflect on what my fast-paced lifestyle wants to teach me.

And so here I am, standing up to the challenge of writing at least 500 words everyday for the next 31 days. Yes, kinda crazy but that is where the fun begins.

As they say, ang tao ay parang adobo; hindi kumpleto kung walang toyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment