Saturday, January 11, 2014

What's in a name?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

- William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

Have you ever imagined having a different name? Being 'Christian' for the past twenty one years was not that significant to me, but I can't imagine growing up with a different moniker. When I was a kid I was sorely tempted to ask my parents to have my name legally changed. I don't know why, but I felt that my name was not apt for me. I saw my name as something generic, a name that is 'inside the box.' I wanted to have a one of a kind name that when someone would hear it, they would drop their jaw and wonder "Why was he named like that?"

I was surprised to find out that the name 'Judas' meant 'the praised one.' Imagine having a very wonderful and meaningful name! But nowadays, the name Judas is tantamount to being a traitor. Imagine how far the name's original meaning differ from our understanding today. The praised one became the despised one. Tragic. I can imagine people during the time of Jesus. If they are thankful to someone they would tell him "Hudas ka pare. Hudas ka!" Now, imagine being called like that by someone. If you're proud of being called one, then there might be something wrong with you.

I'm sure you had your fair share of being called 'names' way back in elementary and high school. I'm sure that being called by a different name (which most of the time has been attached to us because of a weird behavior, habit or looks) is a little nerve wracking at first. There are times when, especially elementary students (even high school) would go to the extent of having a fist fight because of name calling. I vividly remember back in first year high school when two of my classmates smashed each other's faces right after class because of name calling (which, to be frank, I enjoyed watching). As a result, name calling was banned in our section. It's imperative to call people by their name. That's their identity. That is what makes them 'them'.

Today is the feast of the Lord's Baptism. Here we see the relevance of being called by a name. After coming up from the water, Jesus was called 'the beloved son' by the Father. Something very sweet, I would say. Seldom do I hear fathers (or mothers) call their children their 'beloved'. Most of the time we would hear irate parents shout "Anak ka ng...You son of a..." As one lay preacher would put it, children who are 'cursed' by their parents most of the time end up having low self esteem and low self worth. Instead of hearing encouraging and sweet words from the people who raised them, they end up being belittled and cursed. 

I guess we are all called to live out being beloved sons and daughters of God. It might sound easy, but I'm sure it's a feat to live out being a follower of Christ once we step out of the church. Let me quote a friend who mentioned in his book "that there is just an only estimated 15% of genuine Catholics in the country". The name 'Catholic' is there, but the identity is not fully present.

Maybe this Sunday should also be called 'Identity Sunday.'

No comments:

Post a Comment